In 1797 Georg Freiherr von Brandenstein, later President of the Privy Council and Minister, acquired the building named after him in today’s Puschkinstrasse and extended it by adding another building in 1826. In 1850, under Friedrich Franz II, it was bought for the Grand Ducal estates and remodelled by Hermann Willebrand. It housed the Grand Ducal Cabinet and was also used for senior officials. Some years later it returned to the Brandenstein family but sometimes still also served as accommodation for Grand Ducal officials.
When it was finally taken over by the City of Schwerin in 1899, for administrative purposes, most of the interior decoration was lost. The monumental façade of this erstwhile aristocratic mansion bears witness to the late Baroque style of urban mansion, of which there are no other examples in Schwerin. Today this historic building houses the adult education centre.