The “Münze”, also called the “Münzprägeanstalt” (the Mint) first served as a dwelling-house before being fitted out as a mint in 1778. At the end of the 1820s the Schwerin architect Ludwig August Bartning remodelled it comprehensively both internally and externally. In this period it received its classicist stucco façade, parts of which are rusticated.

When the Schwerin Mint ceased operations in 1850 the house needed a new purpose. Between 1855 and 1858 the building was therefore remodelled, under the direction of Hermann Willebrand, and became a ministerial residence. The Ministers of State of the Grand Ducal government used it when on business in the Residence city of Schwerin. The classicist staircase and a banqueting hall which rises through two floors date from this period. Rooms for the Consistory were fitted out in the Ministers’ Hotel as early as the 1850s. In 1947 the Protestant bishop of the province moved in and in 1990 the provincial Protestant Church took full possession of the building.

Today the former Mint contains the outpost of the Consistory of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Northern Germany.