The Palace with the Castle Garden is located on an island between Lake Burgsee and Lake Schwerin. Today, the parks of the Palace encompass approximately 25 hectares. The Palace Garden, established in the French style, received its distinctive design from 1748 onwards. The landscape architect Jean Legeay created the cross canal, while the sculptures on both sides were the work of the court sculptor Balthasar Permoser.
During the 19th century, the Palace Garden was expanded in accordance with the schemes of Peter Joseph Lenné and Theodor Klett. The basic Baroque structure remained, while the adjacent areas, the garden south of the Greenhouse and the shore zones along the lake, were redesigned in the English 19th century landscape garden style. The Greenhouse and the Cavalier’s House complete the Palace Garden and lead to the Schlossgartenallee, abutted by two buildings for the court gardeners.
The Old Artillery Barracks, the Officers‘ Mess and the New Artillery Barracks are located at the end of the lawn cascades, above the cross canal and in a direct axis with the Palace. Strategically located on the same street, but at the bottom of the hill, is the Grand Ducal Hunters‘ Lodge.