In the period when Paulstadt was being opened up and the Mecklenburgstrasse and Arsenalstrasse were being extended, Grand Duke Paul Friedrich gave the architect Georg Adolph Demmler a corner plot on the south bank of the Pfattenteich. Here Demmler built his three-storey house in the classical-historicist idiom. The ground floor was used for commercial purposes from the time it was built. 

Construction and built form

The succoed, two-storey half-timbered construction has an L-shaped footprint. As is the case with many buildings, the foundation is on piles. The facade is finished with fine mock-ashlar stucco. The interior is still in the original state of the 1857 redesign. The layout is unchanged, and the period doors are original. The original floors have been retained in parts. The stairwell and the cast-iron staircase with the elaborately decorated balusters also date from this period.