The court gardener Christian Daniel Friedrich Klett (1774–1845) received the property on which the building in Schloßgartenallee stands today as a gift from the Grand Duke. The so-called "Old Court Gardener's House" was built in 1822 and later, became the property of the Grand Duke again. After 1840, it was probably used mainly as a residence for gardeners. In 1909, the building was modernized in a typical rural style. Together with the cold house that has been preserved on the site it represents an essential part of the facilities of the former plant nursery belonging to the castle gardens.
Contruction and built form
The one-and-a-half-storey house was built on an eongated rectangular floor plan. The building is rendered and has a hipped roof with eyebrow dormers. The street facade has a symmetrical design, accentuated by a two-storey rounded gable at the centre. The single-storey addition on the east side dates back to 1909. The eaces of the hipped roof were lowered at this point ans another entrance was added. The interior floor plan, the period staircase and the internal doors are original.