Like almost all the elements of the Schwerin Residence Ensemble, the Royal Stables stand in a direct sightline to the Palace. The riding hall dominates the centre of the east wing, which today is surmounted by a pediment; to the right and left of that two other buildings. One of these accommodated the pedigree riding horses, the coaches and the tack, and the other housed the servants.
Construction and built form
The building was erected around 1838-1842 by Court Architect Georg Adolph Demmler as a four-wing complex in solid contruction on an elaborate pile foundation. One wing of the complex openbs centrally to the west towards the street Grosser Moor, creating an open courtyard.
The Stables was not only a functional building; it was also designed to impress. The riding hall was used for equestrian events and also for Court festivities.
The current room layout suitable for administrative purposes dates back to 1956, when the ground floor was raised and the stable doors were reduced in size.
Today the Stables are used by the Ministry of Social Affairs, Integration and Equality and also by the Ministry for Education, Science and Culture.